Insomnia Leads To Download Page Redesign

Tell me what you think of it.  I’ve disabled automatic downloading, given the users big bright buttons to find the PC vs Mac trials, and hooked it up to Analytics to see if I’m insane.

Actually, since its almost 5 AM now, I think I am certifiably insane.  Going to grab a few more hours (I slept from 9 to midnight, which is what is killing me).

Advertisements
Explore posts in the same categories: Analytics, web design

7 Comments on “Insomnia Leads To Download Page Redesign”

  1. Matthew Says:

    That link is broken, but the page is much better in my opinion. I have never liked auto downloading, because it doesn’t working properly since Microsoft added the “information bar” to Internet Explorer. I think it is much easier to use now.

  2. Patrick Says:

    Thanks, I fixed the link.

  3. Scott Says:

    Those buttons look pretty sweet to me… Thanks for all the great information, keep it coming.

  4. Patrick Says:

    Its just embarassing how easy it is to crank those things out with Axialis. Thats about 5 minutes of work per button, most of it spent on cropping, and then another 10 minutes redoing the web page. Then triple all times because God did not intend me to be productive at 4:30 AM.

  5. Oliver Says:

    Patrick, It looks way better. Since you have so much room (huge buttons!) and to help help your audience all the way to the end, have you thought about putting “click here” and maybe a little mouse pointer near the bottom of both buttons? That way they’ll know without a doubt that these are the things that they are supposed to click on.

  6. Patrick Says:

    Not a bad idea. I’ll try that tonight. CrazyEgg reports a disturbingly high percentage of people (5%… hey, thats still disturbing) banging on the blue Download Free Trial button again (which I hooked up to grab the Windows version automatically).

  7. Jim Says:

    Patrick, I will show up as one of your trial downloaders and also as someone who checked for updates.
    What I want to tell you is that under IE6 with script debugger enabled the urchinTracker() call cause a a failure in your 1.051.html file. Problem stated was Object Required.

    Now I would expect few people to have the script debugger switched on but I do (for my job). It was a pain to get this error. Is there any way of determining if other people get this problem.

    I have also been reading your blog from the start using the reader. Some fantastic posts, great ideas, etc.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: